Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Tales from the 25¢ Bin!

Hey kids! Welcome once again to another edition of Tales from the 25¢ Bin! I had a particularly epic haul this past Saturday, so forgive me if this post is a little big.

Let's dig in, shall we?

This latest haul is probably one of the most eclectic piles I have ever amassed from the cheap-o bin, and we're kicking it off with good ol' Captain America! I was so taken by his role in the Avengers movie so I snapped this comic up quicker than a ricocheting shield.


Next up is issue #11 of DC's Claw the Unconquered, which is a particular score for me since I already have issues #1-10. Back in the day, i dug this character even though he's basically a Conan rip-off with a metal hand. I flipped through this issue a bit and noticed that he has suddenly taken on a sort of Native American appearance. Not sure why. Maybe they were trying to make him more like Arak or something.


Next up, we have the first four issues of a Marvel book called Dreadstar and Company, a comic that I don't think I've ever seen before but it looked something like Warlord in the world of He-Man fighting Ming the Merciless with his girlfriend, Scarlett from G.I. Joe. Whatever. It was a buck for all four issues, so I'll give it a chance.

 
Four words, ladies; Giant Size Man-Thing. 'Nuff said.


I can't pass up old horror comics, even if they're reprints from 1999. Just look at that cover. These were the comics that caused me to lose a lot of sleep as a kid.


Again, since I'm still riding the Avengers wave, and considering my renewed love for the Hulk, I couldn't pass these babies up. This was the Hulk that I loved as a kid. It's all about the purple pants.


And even though I grew up as a Marvel kid, and have been pretty Marvel-minded lately, I haven't wavered in my quest to catch up on some classic DC comics and these three issues of Justice League of America will make fine additions to my comics collection. Dat Zatanna.


It was a good day for finding multiple consecutive issues, and even better when I scored this 4-issue limited series about X-Men's Storm and some little girl that apparently sells her soul to the devil and then turns into a hot chick with a tail. Which... is really... inappropriate, now that I think about it. Then again, I'm just going by the covers. I could be wrong.


Wow... Star Wars fever was really rampant back in the day....
 

The coolest thing about this issue is the fact that it's a Whitman publication and not a DC issue (which they did sometimes for some reason). Also, I've recently discovered the awesomeness of Adam Strange and have made great strides in getting over my hatred for Superman. I can't wait to read this one.


And finally, it wouldn't be a successful trip to the 25¢ bin without bringing him at least one vintage issie of Archie, and this groovy rag was originally published a year before I was even born, which makes it positively ancient.


Dig those crazy pants, Reggie!