Sunday, April 29, 2012

Vintage TV & Movie Toy Car Haul!

Welcome to another installment of Stuff I Got at the Toy Show Last Weekend.

I haven't talked much about this, but I have a gallery show coming up (and by gallery I mean coffee shop, and by show I mean they're letting me hang my art there for a month) made up of the 100 vehicles from movies and TV that I've been working on, all drawing in less that 15 minutes, which I'm calling VROOOM! (and which was previously called CARZ, but that was lame). You can see what I've posted in the past HERE, although I've stopped posting the newer ones because I want them to be fresh for the show in August, and also so that people who are interested in the series will get a few surprises when I release the prints that you'll be able to order online. (There may also be a book, we'll see.)

Anyway, the whole reason I'm even bringing this up is because I've had TV and movie vehicles on the brain lately. So when I went to the toy show, I was dead set on finding some 1:64 scale TV and movie toy cars to add to the collection I've built so far (which basically consists of the latest Hot Wheels offerings, like the 1966 Batmobile, the Ecto 1, the BTTF Delorean and KITT).

This reminds me; I got one hell of an awesome toy TV car from Jboy around Christmas, that I really need to blog about. I took pics and everything. Anyway, that's for another post. But I digress.

Anyhoo, at the show, I had hoped to grab at least a couple, but I ended up walking away with all of these...


Awwwww YEAH! The best thing about all of these is that they were almost all about $1 each! I tell ya, I love that toy show.

Let's take a closer look at the haul.

Here we have Austin Powers' car. I actually got this one for a quarter. I mean, that's insane!


The original ERTL Knight Rider car! This is the one I had as a kid. And now that I look at these close up shots, I realize that I really should have dusted them. Blerg.


Here we have a M*A*S*H jeep, which, even though I hate that show, a TV car is a TV car.


Here's Magnum PI's Ferrari, and this is the real licensed deal, too. It actually says Magnum PI on the trunk.


Here we have the Partridge Family bus. Another show that I hated, but the vehicle is legendary. I actually paid $5 for this one because it was still mint on card and the guy who sold it to me cringed when I told him I was going to open it. Too bad, it's my collection. Also, he sold me several of these other cars for $1 a piece, which I would have gladly paid $3 or more for each, so even at $5, this was a good deal.


Jinkies! It's the Mystery Machine! Well, this is actually just a random van painted to look like the Mystery Machine, but the paint job is done so well that I don't care. This is one of those cheap toy cars from Racing Champions, which are like the Frosted Fruit Rings to the Froot Loops of the toy vehicle world. Still, Scooby and the gang's faithful mode of transportation is one of my all-time favorite vehicles so this was a major find for me.


Next up is the Mach 5. Again, hated the cartoon, skipped the movie. But what a classic pop culture car.


And finally, here is the most beat-up, raggedy Starsky & Hutch Gran Torino I have ever seen. Seriously, this bad boy was played with in a major way. Missing its light, stripe decal almost completely gone. But, I didn't have one of these in the collection yet, so the $1 was worth it. 


So that's it for this haul report! I think I have just kicked off a new focus collection for myself in a major way.

Now I gotta go and roll these around the kitchen floor while making vroooom noises. See ya!