Friday, August 19, 2011

Them Mego Duke Boys!

Since this week sort of just became "Mego Week" here on the blog, I thought I'd end it by showing off a couple of recent eBay scores in the form of these two vintage Mego Dukes of Hazzard Bo & Luke figures.


Many of you may already know that I am a dyed-in-the-wool Dukes of Hazzard fanatic. It was always one of my favorite shows as a kid (which, thanks to the collections on DVD, I have learned still hold up) and I used to have a hoot of a time playing with my classic 3 3/4" Mego Dukes figures and their General Lee.

I never had the larger Mego figures from this series, but have been keeping my eye out for an affordable set on eBay for a while now. Long story short; I eventually got the Duke Boys and they're now displayed front and center of my Dukes shelf.

The Luke figure that I got is in pretty good shape, minus a little paint loss in the hair. And it's a pretty decent likeness of Tom Wompat. His clothes are in excellent shape, so I'm calling this one a score!


Bo, on the other hand, looks like he's been living in the back of Cooter's garage and sleeping on the floor, in a puddle of old oil. The figure itself is dirty as can be, and the soft-rubbery head is starting to get all "Zombie head" on us, which is a common issue with many Megos made in the last year or two of the company's existence, due to their using a cheaper plastic that turns gray with age. And although his clothes look like they are in good shape, when he first arrived, he smelled like he'd been stored in a musty basement, next to some old meat, in the Summer. Also, you can't see it in the top pic, but he's got a bum left knee, as it wobbles about when I pick him up and I can feel the wrappings of ancient cellophane tape just barely holding it on.

And let's be honest, that face doesn't look a thing like John Schneider.


Still, I don't think it would be all that hard to clean his clothes with a little Woolite, give his body a good scrub and maybe even replace the pin in his knee (or give him a new leg altogether), and I'll probably get around to it one day. In the meantime, these two boys only need to concern themselves with looking awesome on my shelf, and making sure Roscoe don't catch 'em.

Well, that's it for today. Thanks for reading, and y'all come back now, y'hear?